Practically Speaking

Kyle and her husband moved to Brookfield in 1986. She became active in local politics and started blogging in 2004. Her focus is primarily on local issues but often includes state and national topics, too. Kyle looks at things from the taxpayers' perspective in a creative, yet down to earth way, addressing them from a practical point of view.

Elmbrook's revenue pie and future

Education, Elmbrook, TAXES

Tuesday, about 20 Elmbrook residents gathered at Brookfield El. to discuss state funding and its affect on class sizes. Board member Glen Allgaier attended as well. We all introduced ourselves and stated the ages and grade level of our children in the Elmbrook school system. I think I was the only person in attendance who never had a child in Elmbrook schools. (I homeschooled my son.) I would say most of the attendees were mothers of grade school aged children. 

Assistant Superintendent of Finance Bob Borch guided us through the very complicated system of school finance with a power point presentation. He carefully explained how the system used to work and then brought us up to date with today's system.

Bottom line, Elmbrook is a wealthy school district and receives less than the average "Equalization Aid" in Wisconsin.   Surprisingly, there were 11 districts that receive "No Primary Aid!" Elmbrook is one of 12 districts that receive "Only Primary Aid." At least we get something! This "Equalization Aid" plus Integration Aid--Chapter 220, and Computer Aid make up about 15% of of the revenue pie. The remaining 85% of revenue in the pie, grouped under the Revenue Cap, comes from property taxes.

Additional income comes from other sources: State Categorical Aides -- Open Enrollment, Library, Special Education, and Transportation, Federal Aids, and Local Sources such as student fees and rent. These additional sources are not under the revenue cap. Bob Borch gave a figure of $95 million dollars for the total budget. 

The School Levy Credit that appears on our property tax bills also helps our district. Last year a total of $12 million was funneled back to Elmbrook Schools from the district's municipalities.

Here is the difference between Chapter 220 and Open Enrollment students. Both are non-resident students. Chapter 220 at  


Please, comment content should relate to the subject of the post. Although I try to respond to many, do not interpret my lack of a response as agreement.




counter hit xanga

Brookfield7, Fairly Conservative, Vicki Mckenna, Jay Weber, The Right View Wisconsin, Mark Levin, CNS News


This site uses Facebook comments to make it easier for you to contribute. If you see a comment you would like to flag for spam or abuse, click the "x" in the upper right of it. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use.

Page Tools