Armed man arrested after tactical situation in Elm Grove
33-year-old man barricaded himself in an Elm Grove apartment building
A 33-year-old man was arrested Thursday after barricading himself in an Elm Grove apartment building and jumping out of a window as tactical officers tried to diffuse the scene.
Brookfield police Capt. Jim Adlam said the man was alone in his apartment on Dunleith Circle, just north of Elm Grove and Bluemound roads, and showed bizarre behavior, including brandishing a knife when officers arrived. The four-unit apartment complex was immediately evacuated and the standoff ended shorty after 6:30 p.m.
"Waukesha County's Tactical Unit attempted to breach some windows, and at that point the suspect dove out of a window and attempted to flee," Adlam said. "Waukesha County's Sheriff K-9 Unit and tactical officers were in the area and he was quickly taken into custody."
Brookfield police had numerous contacts with the man, Adlam said. They responded to a domestic call at his parents' Brookfield home Thursday morning after the suspect allegedly damaged the garage door and other things inside the house.
The man started a small fire in the apartment, but it's unknown if it was in the fireplace, Adlam said. Smoke was seen coming out of the chimney and a window. Adlam said the man threw his phone out of the window and may have ingested unknown substances during the standoff.
"His behavior was extremely bizarre, everything he was doing," Adlam said. "The fact that he was brandishing a knife was enough for us."
The man was taken to the hospital and will face charges from both the city of Brookfield and village of Elm Grove.
- Video: Summer fun in suburban Milwaukee in 2016
- Video: Elmbrook Education Foundation awards first student grant
- BEAST Robotics advances to World competition
- Sunset's 'Christmas Carol' features Dickens himself
- REVIEW: Sunset Playhouse's 'Addams Family' is creepy, lovable
- Video: Strumming along at the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival
- Milwaukee suburbs trick-or-treat times 2015
- Business Spotlight: Elm Grove wood studio lets the creative juices flow
- Elm Grove library surveying residents on future
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Mystery Photo Contest: June18