Forty-one Elmbrook teachers are receiving preliminary layoff notices.
State statute requires school districts to notify teachers of contract renewal by March 15. Because staffing needs for the 2010-11 school year cannot yet be precisely determined, the district must issue preliminary layoff notices to any teacher who may not be needed next year. Many of the preliminary layoffs will be recalled as staffing needs are clarified throughout the spring staffing and budgeting process. This practice occurs annually.
About 20 district teachers attended tonight's School Board meeting, where the notices were approved. Speaking as both parents of district students and as teachers, three of the staff members urged the board to carefully consider the potential impact layoffs could have on student learning. One student and one alumni voiced similar concerns.
- The Corridor development in Brookfield announces three new tenants
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Brookfield council to vote on adopting park-naming process
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News and Notes: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: July 28
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- 'Missing' swimmer in Brookfield park was likely not missing
- Brookfield's Linx Club project gets OK despite concerns
- Supporters line up to push Brookfield beekeeping