Bluemound Road lanes are narrower now
Issue: A reader noticed that since the repaving project on Bluemound Road, it seems like the new lanes, particularly the middle lane, are narrower. She wants to know if there is any truth to this, and if so, why this is.
Status: Steve Schindler, Wisconsin Department of Transportation project manager, said the lanes narrow as they approach intersections to make room for new bike lanes.
These new bike lanes are called keyhole bike lanes and they run between the right-turn lane and the outside through-lane at intersections, Schindler said. These lanes allow bikers to continue straight through the intersection without getting in the way of drivers turning right.
The bike lanes take up more space and have caused the driving lanes to narrow as they approach intersections; but the driving lanes still meet all width requirements, Schindler said.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Elm Grove Ask Now: Palmer's plans?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Should bicyclists be on pathways?
- Ask Now: Elected officials' time off?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?