What rules surround snow clearing in the city?
Issue: A reader wants to know whether Brookfield residents are required to shovel their driveways and sidewalks. She also wants to know what the laws are for commercial properties.
Status: Laurie O'Shea, paralegal for the city of Brookfield, told me residents are not required to clear bike paths, sidewalks or driveways. She explained that the Park, Recreation and Forestry Department is responsible for clearing city rights of way. Questions, comments and complaints can be directed to the department at (262) 796-6681.
The Highway Department clears snow from the city's roadways. Snow pushed onto driveways by passing snowplows will not be removed by the city, according to the city website.
Businesses are required to shovel sidewalks on their property, O'Shea added.
Property owners are responsible for shoveling out fire hydrants in front of their property.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Elm Grove Ask Now: Palmer's plans?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Should bicyclists be on pathways?
- Ask Now: Elected officials' time off?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?