Researching franchise opportunities for a career change two years ago, Matt Schultz said he came upon scores of potentially lucrative business opportunities. None, however, appealed to him as much as one with particular sentimental value.
"At the age of 8, I developed an infection in my ear canal and had to have my eardrums replaced," Schultz said. "I've struggled with hearing for the past 30 years, so I had a soft spot for Zounds Hearing Center when I came across it."
He subsequently bought into the Phoenix-based business, opening a franchise in April in Culver's plaza in the 15000 block of West Bluemound Road in Elm Grove.
The location offers free hearing exams — including in-home tests — as well as fittings for its three, specially-designed hearing aids. The devices, according to Schultz, are cost effective, respond to a range of hearing loss and eliminate nearly all background noise.
"We sell aids that treat moderate and severe loss and an adaptable model for those who currently experience moderate loss, but will likely suffer more severe hearing issues in the near future," said Schultz, who adds that he, along with his father, are avid Zounds customers. "Manufacturing our own aids lets us sell them at up to half the cost of other hearing aid stores that don't have that capability. All of our aids are priced within $200 of each other and reduce ambient noise up to 90 percent."
Zounds hearing aids, he said, are equipped with a remote control roughly half the size of an iPhone, which allows users to easily manage volume and sound quality. They also have a non-disposable battery capable of lasting 18 hours before needing to be recharged.
In his previous business life, Schultz was a corporate salesman whose responsibilities included conducting layoffs. He is content knowing his new venture likely will not be as financially lucrative.
"I got into this business to treat people right and build a brand that they can trust," he said. "It's personally rewarding when clients tell me they're able to hear birds chirping for the first time in years; so much more rewarding than issuing pink slips."
To suggest a business for this spotlight, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Zounds Hearing Center
ADDRESS: 15280 W. Bluemound Road, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 395-4421
OWNER: Matt Schultz
TYPE OF BUSINESS: hearing aids and testing
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: History lives at the Dousman Inn
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl