Compared with the tenures of some employees at Grasch Foods, other grocery stores' workers have the longevity of a gallon of milk. Grasch's depth of experience, according to one of the Brookfield establishment's owners, helps set it apart from chain store competition.
"We have an exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful staff," said Bob Grasch, who operates the business with his brother, Bill, and sister, Mary Jo Stark (a fourth-generation Grasch, Bob's son, Bobby, manages the grocery department). "Our meat department manager has been with us for over 25 years, and the seafood manager more than 30. They know the market trends for their products; how to properly handle food and prepare it and that makes a big difference in gaining customers' trust and loyalty."
Located since 1957 at the corner of Lilly Road and North Avenue in Brookfield, Grasch Foods has undergone four major renovations over the past half century. It has been expanded to include, among other departments, a deli, a bakery and a floral area. The supermarket's meat and seafood sections remain its bread and butter.
"We're known for our wonderful meat department and the service that our butchers provide," said Bob. "Our pride and joy is the U.S.D.A. prime meats we carry, as only 2 percent of meat is graded as prime and not many stores stock it. Similarly, our seafood selection is second to none. We have great variety because we bring in fresh fish from both the east and west coasts."
From offering ready-made meals in its deli, to providing natural and organic selections, Bob has witnessed a number of changes at his family owned and operated store, since he began there as a teenage bagger in the early 1970s — with one notable exception.
"Quality service should never change and it hasn't for us," said Bob. "It starts with treating our 160-plus member staff like family. If they're happy, they'll want to stay. That translates to employees who take pride in their work and are always courteous and professional."
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS NAME: Grasch Foods
ADDRESS: 13950 W. North Ave., Brookfield, WI 53005
PHONE: (262) 782-9330
OWNERS: Bob Grasch, Bill Grasch, Mary Jo Stark
TYPE OF BUSINESS: Grocery store
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Celebrating life with good food, family and friends is our recipe for good health."
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: History lives at the Dousman Inn
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl