The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation was founded in 1970 by parents of children with diabetes. Their mission was to find a cure for the disease and its complications through supporting research. In a typical year, more than 85 percent of their expenditures directly support that research. See photos from this event.
On Aug. 9, JDRF held a fundraiser at Marjorie Clark Takton's Elm Grove home. The daughter of Emory Clark, she has honored his success as the founder of Clark Oil Co. by creating a museum of the company's memorabilia, including a Clark gasoline pump, on the lower level of her 24,000-square-foot French-style chateau.
JDRF awarded a three-year $825,000 grant to Dr. Martin Hessner, associate professor in the Department of Pediatrics at the Medical College of Wisconsin and the director of the Max McGee National Research Center for Juvenile Diabetes, for his work on type 1 diabetes. He spoke to guests at the benefit about the progress being made through research.
Some of the guests at the gathering were Sharon Ahmad, Susan Freedy, Thomas Kelly, Delores and Frank Lorenz, Mike Sullivan and Judy Thompson, all of Elm Grove; Carrie and Dale Boehm, and Colleen and Bob Tarantino, all of Hartland; and Lisa and John Bryson, Jill Feitz, Constance and James Heyden, Dawn and Jon Jester, Vickie Shult, and Karen and John Silseth, all of Brookfield; Cathy Brocksmith of New Berlin; Marge Hilden of Pewaukee; Kristina Hoffman of Oconomowoc; Andrea Urban of Waukesha; and Penny Van Wyhe of Mukwonago.
Committee members for the event were Candy Barone of Shorewood, Suzanne Frank of Waukesha, Wendy Hanisch of Wauwatosa, Laurie Heid of Milwaukee, Bill Johnson of Jackson, Kim Palmer of Waukesha, Victoria Pink of Sussex and DeeAnn Rochester of New Berlin.
Lorayne Ritt covers Waukesha County's nonprofit scene. Let her know about your event by calling (262) 542-6797 or sending a fax to (262) 650-0275.
- The Corridor development in Brookfield announces three new tenants
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Brookfield council to vote on adopting park-naming process
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News and Notes: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: July 28
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- 'Missing' swimmer in Brookfield park was likely not missing
- Brookfield's Linx Club project gets OK despite concerns
- Supporters line up to push Brookfield beekeeping