Driver annoyed with no left turn at 144th and Capitol
Issue: A reader wants to know why drivers cannot turn left onto Capitol Drive from 144th Street. She said that instead of driving to a median-break to make a left and continue west, drivers must head east on Capitol Drive and make a U-turn. She is worried that crossing three lanes of traffic for the U-turn is more dangerous.
Status: Michael Pyritz, Wisconsin Department of Transportation communications specialist, said WisDOT decided a U-turn would be safer. Studies have shown that busy roads are safer when they have fewer median breaks and cars waiting to turn at medians. He said that if the driver would have had enough time to safely cross to the median, then they should have enough time to cross to the left lane to make a U-turn.
Brookfield NOW .com
Want us to track down a rumor?
Fix a problem? Send an email to
email@example.com or visit
BrookfieldNOW.com/Ask to post a question or see some answers.
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Elm Grove Ask Now: Palmer's plans?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Should bicyclists be on pathways?
- Ask Now: Elected officials' time off?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?