Is there a rumor you'd like tracked down? Geoff Bruce answers some of the mysteries of life in Brookfield and helps solve everyday problems.
How many elm trees are actually in Elm Grove?
Question: The village of Elm Grove's name certainly brings up a certain image, but how many elm trees are actually located in the village at this time?
Response: There are 814 elm trees currently in the municipality. The 814 make up nearly 10 percent of the village's 8,500 total trees.
"I try to plan for as many different varieties as I can, and elm is included as one of them," village forester Ron Hill said. "We've done everything from sugar maple to oak trees."
Hill noted that he very much tries to encourage diversity among the trees that decorate the village's streets and yards.
"If someone has two maples growing in their front yard, I try to convince them to do a different species on the right of way. Diversity is a key," Hill said. "I'm not going to be the forester who left just one plant type for the next guy."
Hill said his department plants between 40 and 60 trees per year, which usually includes between 10 and 20 elm trees.
"It all depends on what's out there and what's available," he said.
Dutch Elm disease remains an issue for elm trees and those within Elm Grove are injected with a pathogen designed to help the tree build an immunity to the fungus.
"One thing that American elms were so good at is that they could seed out and start growing anywhere. The reproduction is great," Hill said. "There are little elms trying to make it all over the place."
Email your question to Geoff Bruce at email@example.com.
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Elm Grove Ask Now: Palmer's plans?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Should bicyclists be on pathways?
- Ask Now: Elected officials' time off?
- Brookfield Ask Now: Will the pathway on Pilgrim be paved?
- Ask Now: City's rummage sale rules?
- Ask Now: What ever happened to all the changes for Capitol Drive?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: When will BEGIN host more programs?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Does Mayor Steve Ponto want to run for higher office?
- Brookfield Ask Now: How does the city attack garlic mustard weed?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: How can a young person help out at the humane society?
- Ask Now: Will there be a lighting test at Golf Parkway?
- Ask Now: How are city committee members assigned?
- Ask Now: Freeway interchange at Calhoun?
- Ask Now: More details about city voters?
- Ask Now: What's happening on Riverview Road?
- Ask Now: With all the Bluemound Road development, has the Village been forgotten?
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Ask Now: Are referendums for TIFs any closer?
- Ask Now: Where is the Elm Grove Library headed?
- Ask Now: Will Visit Brookfield use the Ruby farmhouse?