Four parcels of land currently part of the town of Brookfield could soon be annexed into the city, if Jack Safro's Automotive Group's plan goes through for its dealership on Capitol Drive and Barker Road.
Mayor Steve Ponto signed a pre-annexation agreement with the company's president, Jeanne Safro, Jan. 21 after the Common Council authorized it. The annexation also must be approved by the state Department of Administration and then passed by the Common Council, according to Director of Community Development Dan Ertl. The town would not have to approve it.
According to the signed agreement, the company plans to redevelop its Toyota dealership, and would like access to the city's water and sewer services. The dealership uses a private well and septic system, Director of Public Works Tom Grisa said.
The city is better positioned to provide those services than the town, Grisa said, because it already has water and sewer services close by, at Krause Funeral Home on Capitol Drive.
"The town can certainly provide sewer and water, but they can't do it in a very efficient manner, because their utilities are so far away from that area," Grisa said.
The cost for extending the services likely would be shared between the city and the company, Grisa said.
The agreement notes the annexation would increase the city's tax base. However, for the first five years after annexation, the city would be required by state statute to annually pay the town an amount equal to what it currently collects in property taxes from the parcels.
If redevelopment moves forward, the new dealership will include a showroom, service center, car wash, auto display, and parking and loading areas, according to the agreement.
- The Corridor development in Brookfield announces three new tenants (1)
- Brookfield/Elm Grove Ask Now: Why did a tornado siren go off last week?
- Brookfield council to vote on adopting park-naming process
- Brookfield/Elm Grove News and Notes: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Police Report: July 28
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Meetings: July 28
- Mystery Photo Contest: July 28
- 'Missing' swimmer in Brookfield park was likely not missing
- Brookfield's Linx Club project gets OK despite concerns (2)
- Supporters line up to push Brookfield beekeeping (28)