Few businesses - much less start-ups - can point to the sluggish economy as a reason for their success. Georgie Consignment For Her is a rare exception.
"In a way, the recession contributed to helping us exceed our revenue goal for the year," said Pam Rische, who opened her Elm Grove establishment in March, 2011. "Women haven't been able to afford to buy high-end clothing at full price as much as they used to. But at Georgie Consignment, they can not only find great accessories, jewelry and name-brand apparel from the likes of Banana Republic, Ann Taylor and J. Crew at discounted prices, but medium- to high-end department store merchandise and designer labels, as well."
Real estate also has played a key role in Georgie's success. The store lies in the Village Court shopping plaza, next to Nora B's restaurant and, Rische said, often attracts customers from the eatery.
Once inside, she continued, shoppers are drawn to the store's zebra and pink décor - as well as to its fashionable inventory.
"We're very selective in the consignments we accept," she said. "The Elm Grove community has a demand for high-end women's garments, so our items must be stylish, clean and show no signs of wear."
Georgie Consignment has a civic-minded bent, holding toy drives during the holidays, hosting a fashion show to benefit a humane society, and donating any clothing that has been in stock for more than 60 days - and which the consigner does not want returned - to homes for less-fortunate women.
In business less than a year, Rische already is making expansion plans for 2012.
"We hope to have a second store up and running before too long," she said. "Our customers have responded so well to our efforts at making high-end shopping a fun and affordable experience that we'd like to grow the Georgie Consignment brand throughout the Elm Grove/Brookfield area."
To suggest a business for the Business Spotlight, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
JUST THE FACTS
BUSINESS: Georgie Consignment For Her
ADDRESS: 890 Elm Grove Road, Building No. 2, Suite 106, Elm Grove
PHONE: (262) 754-0004
OWNER: Pam Rische
TYPE OF BUSINESS: clothing consignment store
PEARLS OF WISDOM: "Never pay full price for awesome attire."
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: History lives at the Dousman Inn
- Business Spotlight: Bar Stars Bartending aims to put party hosts at ease
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Hairstylist brings an art background to her work
- Business Spotlight: A hobby became a business for yarn shop founders
- Business Spotlight: FirstLight Home Care
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: Alli Troutman's veterinary clinic strives to be a place animals love
- Business Spotlight: A love of art and a love of space inspired architect's career choice
- Business Spotlight: Quilt shop was an opportunity they couldn't pass up
- Business Spotlight: Friends combined their talents to found Snapdragon Flowers of Elm Grove
- Business Spotlight: Family roots run deep at Biloba Brewing Co.
- Business Spotlight: Sheri Bauer wants to heal others like she healed herself
- Business Spotlight: Wayde Peronto's business takes pictures, and gives back
- Business Spotlight: North Star Catering takes the restaurant into the community
- Business Spotlight: A Savvy Bride in Brookfield strives to make a perfect day
- Business Spotlight: Jamie Durner sought fulfillment, and now helps others do the same
- Brookfield Business Spotlight: At the Fun Kids Dentist, the fun starts at age 1
- Early calling led to a practice in counseling
- Brookfield and Elm Grove Business Spotlight: Demand is strong at Self Storage of Goerkes Corners
- Business Spotlight: 3 realtors in 3 communities broadens the appeal
- Business Spotlight: Bowling is about families, including the Posnanski family at Bluemound Bowl