Man charged in Brookfield bank robbery, police chase

Suspect led police on car, foot chase on Highway 45

Aug. 6, 2013

A 30-year-old Milwaukee man was charged with robbery with threat of force, retail theft and attempting to flee an officer Aug. 2 in Waukesha County Circuit Court after robbing a Brookfield bank and leading police on a chase on a busy highway July 31.

According to the criminal complaint:

City of Brookfield police responded to a panic alarm at Tri City National Bank inside of Pick 'n Save, 15170 W. Greenfield Avenue, at 3:38 p.m. A teller told officers that a man, later identified as Christopher Selby, handed over a folded piece of cardboard paper and said, "This is a heist. No dye packs. Tick tock, tick tock."

The teller gave Selby cash and a dye pack and watched him put the cash into a bi-fold folder and leave the store. On his way out of the store, Selby took a bottle of brandy.

Officers later found Selby burning something in a subdivision in Brookfield, at an address tied to Selby through department records. When, officers approached, Selby jumped into a van and drove off, leading officers on a chase on city streets through Brookfield and West Allis. He eventually got on the eastbound I-94 ramp from WIS 100.

Traffic on the ramp was heavy, but Selby was able to weave through cars stopped on the ramp waiting to get on the interstate. He picked up speed and continued driving, eventually merging onto Highway 45, meeting more rush hour traffic. Selby tried to squeeze past a semi-truck and a car and crashed. Officers estimated his speed at 10 to 15 miles per hour.

Selby got out of the van and ran northbound on the highway. He failed to put the van in park and the van rolled north on the highway, eventually stopping on its own. He led officers on a foot chase, at one point jumping over a seven-foot chain link fence. A retired police officer saw the chase and gave another officer a ride across the highway and joined the foot chase. The retired officer and another officer caught Selby and took him into custody.

Selby told investigators he went to the Brookfield address after the dye pack had exploded. He tried getting the dye off of his hands by using bleach and laundry detergent from the van. He then drove to Doyne Park in Milwaukee and walked down to the Milwaukee River, throwing a bag of dyed money over the embankment. He returned to the Brookfield subdivision, thinking some of the money was clean, when officers found him in the yard. He said he ran because he knew he was going back to prison.

Past robbery charges

Selby was charged with two felony counts of robbery with threat of force and eluding officers in July 2008, and was released from prison in November 2012. Selby served 87 days in jail this year after missing a meeting with his agent and was released July 8.

There was an active warrant for Selby's arrest after he left a halfway house he was assigned to after his release. He told police he left the halfway house and later committed the robbery because he had bad luck finding cash jobs and needed money to pay rent where another woman, identified as Dana Selby in the complaint, was living. He told Dana he had a job interview at 2 p.m. that day, but went to his former Brookfield address to think about what he could do to obtain money to pay rent.

Selby faces 19 years and three months of prison time for the charges; maximum sentencing for each charge can be increased because they are repeat offenses.


Local Crime Map



Latest Photo Galleries