You can't make base running mistakes against good baseball teams and Monday night Brookfield East found out why.
The Spartans had runners thrown out a second and third in the sixth and seventh innings and first-place Oak Creek (12-2) made them pay with a 6-4 loss in nine innings.
Oak Creek's Joey Gribble tripled to center with one out in the ninth and the scored tied at 4-4. Ryan Ungerecht ripped a single to left, his fourth straight hit to left field to give Oak Creek a 5-4 lead. Then after a strikeout, Kyle Veloz ripped a triple to right field scoring Ungerecht for a 6-4 lead.
Oak Creek led 3-0 when the Spartans tied the game in the fifth on Brandt Rogers' 2-out single which scored John Foley. Then a single by Pat O'Brien, a walk to Bryan Sylla and a 2-run single by Kevin Sylla tied the game at 3-3.
The Knights' Casey Magyar ripped a 2-out double to score Jake Gordon, who had led off the sixth with a single to take a 4-3 lead. But East tied the game when Rogers led off the seventh by being safe on an error. O'Brien sacrificed him to second and then Brian Sylla doubled off the top of the center field wall.
But then the Spartans made a major error when Brian Sylla went to third on the overthrow to the infield and the Knights alertly threw him out at third. Then Kevin Sylla's single to left, which would have won the game, went for naught as the final hitter of the inning hit into a fielder's choice.
Foley singled to lead off the sixth, was bunted to second by PH Tommy Tusshaus. Andy Wiesen then ripped a line drive to right field for an out and when the runner was almost to third because he thought the ball was going to drop, the Knights threw to second for the easy double play.
Brian Sylla started and allowed two earned runs on six hits and two walks and he fanned eight in six innings. O'Brien finished the final three innings allowing five hits, two earned runs and fanned two.
Austin Barbee started for the Knights (4.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 3 BB, 3 K) and Matt Hampson finished up (4.1 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 0 BB. 4 K) to get the win.
The Spartans are now 6-5 in league play and 7-7 overall.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine