Brookfield Central beat Menomonee Falls, 10-6, and Brookfield East nipped Pewaukee, 6-5, today in the WIAA Sectional semi-finals at Germantown.
As a result, the teams will meet in a 5 p.m. sectional championship game at Germantown on Saturday, with the winner going to next week's WIAA state tournament on Wednesday and Thursday at Bukolt Park in Stevens Point.
Friday's title game had to be moved to Saturday because the first game of the day was an hour and a half late because of a rain delay.
CENTRAL VS. FALLS
The 4th-seeded Lancers (21-11) used a 6-run fifth inning to hold off the top-seeded Indians (20-11) and rolled to a 10-6 win in the first game at Germantown.
Central led 3-2 through four innings as both teams scored in the first inning and then Matt Haralson of Central and Troy Kenkel of Falls shut down the offenses until the fifth.
The Lancers used five hits and three walks to score six runs in the fifth for a 9-2 advantage. Big rbis came with singles by Collin Dempsey, a squeeze bunt by Billy Calawerts and back-to-back bases loaded walks to Ryan Hinz and Collin O'Gorman. Connor Shipman, who started the inning with a walk, then ripped a 2-run double to top off the inning.
Falls then added four runs in the sixth, showing a never-say-die attitude, as AD Gonzales had an RBI grounder, Corey Volden an rbi single and Brett Krause had a 2-run double to cut the lead to 9-6. After Central added a run in the top of the seventh, Brad Leachy retired the side in the seventh for the win.
EAST VS. PEWAUKEE
The Spartans (18-13) scored the winning run in the bottom of the seventh inning when pinch runner Andy Wiesen raced in from third on a short wild pitch to score the game-winner in a 6-5 win.
Mike Erberle had walked to lead off the inning and Wiesen pinch-ran for him. After a pick-off attempt went astray, Wiesen moved to second. Brian Sylla was intentionally walked and Drew Kehoe was safe when the pitcher Jodan Hass made a wide throw on his sacrifice attempt.
With John Foley batting, Hass had a ball in the dirt go back to the screen. Wiesen hesitated, then raced for home to score as the ball, Wiesen and Haas arrived at the same time.
East led 3-1 when Pewaukee scored twice in the fifth on a 2-run double by Austin Kaatz to tie the game. But Pat O'Brien, who homered in the first inning, ripped a single to right scoring Brandt Rogers, who had walked and stole second to start the fifth.
Leading 5-3 in the seventh, the Pirates scored twice to tie the game, on two errors and a sac fly by Kaatz.
But then the Spartans scored off the Pirates (12-20) in their final at bat and handed them their ninth walk-off loss of the year.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine