On the opening Friday of football, Racine Park and Brookfield Central went toe to toe in a battle of traditionally strong football programs. Park came out the winners, 30-20.
Turnovers, blocked punts, and penalties were the name of the game for much of the night, as 10 of Park’s 17 first quarter points came on turnovers, and 23 of the game’s total points were scored on turnovers or blocked punts. The two teams also combined for more than 100 yards of penalties.
The Lancers fought back in the second and scored on a 33-yard run from DeMario Harris to go into halftime down by 10. Park briefly widened the gap to 23-7 in the third on a touchdown by quarterback Jordan Payne, but the Lancers answered with another Harris touchdown two minutes later. The subsequent 2-point attempt was no good, bringing the score to 23-13.
Central scored their third touchdown in the fourth on a quarterback keeper from Jason Meichtry shortly after recovering a Park fumble, cutting Park’s lead to just 3. Another touchdown from Payne brought Park’s final lead back to 10.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine