The young Brookfield East Spartans improved to 2-0 through their non-conference schedule, but will now turn it up a notch next weekend when they open the Greater Metro Conference portion of their schedule.
East crushed Milwaukee South, 42-0, Friday night at home and combined with a 55-0 win over Grafton, outscored their non-conference foes 97-0. South and Grafton, however, are a combined 0-4 and have been outscored 181-0 in their first two games.
But East coach Tom Swittel needed to build his young team's confidence and hopefully, those two wins will pay off when the Spartans play for real when they host West Allis Central (1-1) on Friday.
After a scoreless first quarter, the Spartans scored three touchdowns in the second period for a 21-0 lead at half-time over South.
First Bryce Pompos, who completed 10-of-15 for 116 yards, threw a 28-yard touchdown to wide receiver Mike Amato to put East on the board, 8-0, as the same two players hooked up on a 2-point conversion.
Then the defense made a huge play, as defensive back Brian Smith intercepted a pass and raced 65-yards for a score and a 14-0 lead. Alec James then scored on a short run and Zach Schober kicked the PAT with 47 seconds to go in the half.
East's final three touchdowns came on the ground, as Schober scored on a 5-yard run in the third period (3:24) and on a 3-yard run at 10:37 of the final quarter. Pompos ran in a 6-yard score with 1:53 left to play to end the scoring.
Schober kicked all three PAT on the last three scores and rushed for 127 yards to lead the Spartans.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine