Falls' kickers maintain composure, beat BC for first time, 2-1

Aug. 30, 2011

There's a first time for everything, but if the Menomonee Falls boys soccer team was going to beat Brookfield Central for the first time ever Tuesday night, it had to maintain an even strain.

So that's why with the score tied 1-1 and his team denied an easy goal on a questionable offsides call midway through the second half, Falls coach Scott Stein knew that his side needed to maintain its composure on the road against state power Brookfield Central.

"We're going to be playing high-level teams all season long so we can't hang our heads everytime something doesn't go our way," he said.

And the Indians didn't, putting more pressure on the Lancers on a drizzly, cool night as senior Skyler Hying deftly dribbled a ball off his right foot and passed it over his shoulder to a diving Connor Young, who headed the ball into the net at point-blank range in the 71st minute.

Falls then fended off a fierce Central counter-attack and came away with its precious piece of history by a 2-1 count.

"This is amazing, this is what I've been playing my whole career for, to beat these guys" said Hying, a four-year letterwinner for the Indians.

And of the gamewinning goal? 

"I wanted to lull my man to sleep, so I put it on my right foot, saw Connor and got him the ball."

With the win, Falls improved to 7-1-1 overall and 2-0 in Greater Metro Conference play. It also marked the first time that the Indians have beaten both Brookfield East and Central in back-to-back weeks in program history

Stein took his team into a quick post-game huddle and tried to remind them that it was just one game, that the 800-pound gorilla that is Marquette is still looming in league play, but he wasn't going to deny his Indians their moment of happiness.

"I don't want them to look past today just yet," he said, "but I do want them to go beyond it. I'd like for us to win that first conference championship."

But it didn't look like the Indians were going to get close to that goal in the first half, as after some early Falls' surges, the Lancers (3-1-1) took control of the session and pushed time and again, finally breaking through at the 27:13 mark on its quick Fieldturf field.

Erik Oimoen took a pass from Stuart McBain and poked it in from about 15 yards out past a diving goalie Cole Morris.

But that was to be the last time that Central would find paydirt, as the Indian defense would deny Central time and again, getting timely clears and good stops from Morris.

"You have to credit to Cole, he played a good game," said Central coach Jon Mroz, "and they may have something back there in (defender Greg) Duckert."

Still, Falls was behind to start the second half and wasn't getting much of a push, until Nick Burgoyne turned and hit the ball from about 40 yards out from the right side at the 45-minute mark.

The powerfully hit ball arced high and lowered itself just enough to get above the out-stretched hand of Lancer goalie Tim Garvey.

"It was the first time we had really hung our heads at halftime all season," said Stein, "but when Nick hit that, that really gave us some confidence. We were coming off that win over East and we needed something to pull us forward."

After that, the Indians started to get a little better run of the play though the Lancers did get a couple of good crosses that just missed their mark.

Then Hying and Young combined to make a little magic.

"Give Falls a lot of credit," said Mroz. "You're not going to hold a good side quiet for the entire 80 minutes, but when we had our flow going, we needed to do a better job of maintaining pressure on them. Instead they responded."

"We also could have done a few different things to prevent those goals, but like I said, good sides will take advantage of situations."

And make a little history in the bargain.

"We've tied them a couple of times, but this is the first time we've won," said Stein. "This is big."






Latest Photo Galleries