The Brookfield Central girls basketball team used a big third quarter to crush Menomonee Falls, 57-39, at Central and move one game out of second place and two out of first in the Greater Metro Conference.
The win left Central at 5-3 (8-6 overall) one game behind Falls (6-2, 13-3) and Sussex Hamilton (6-2, 10-2) and two games behind first-place Divine Savior Holy Angels (7-1, 10-3) with the Dashers coming to Central on Tuesday.
The Lady Lancers played with a passion that they had been missing for most of the season, trailing 19-11 with 4:20 left in the half, when the Lancers went on an 8-0 run to tie the game at 19 at intermission.
Nicole Hinz started the run with a big rebound basket, and then Jasime Lewis dropped in two free throws. Sarah Fotsch then hit a jumper and Anna Liewen two free throws in the final seconds of the half.
The Lady Lancers then exploded for a 20-9 third period, closing it out with an 8-3 run and a 39-28 lead after three periods.
Freshman Emma Brauer put in a rebound basket, Lewis and Bauer each sank two free throws and then Liewen scored on a drive to the basket for a 39-25 lead. Mikayla Robertson sank a three with 46.9 seconds left in the quarter for the Indians.
The Lady Lancers continue to move the ball, shoot extremely well and play solid defense in the final quarter (18-11) to win going away.
Liewen and Lydia Rohde each had 12 points, while Brauer had 11 and Fotsch 10. Robertson led the Indians with 13.
"Lydia scored early, she shot well," Central coach Dan Wandrey said. "Anna started a little slow, but then started rebounding. Emma was freaking huge. That's how she plays in practice all the time."
Wandrey was impressed with the second quarter run that got his team back in that game.
"That is something we haven't done," he said. "Usually we wait until the hole is too deep."
"They shot very well," Falls coach Craig Amundson said. "We threw everything at them that we had - diamond and one, 1-3-1, man, I give them all the credit in the world. They played really well and they made their shots."
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine