Vantwon Melton caught an 11-yard touchdown pass in the corner with 14 seconds to go, lifting Brookfield Central's state-ranked football team to a thrilling win over Mukwonago on Thursday in a spirited prep football season opener, 19-18.
Melton's catch from junior quarterback Riley Richarz capped an 11-play drive that navigated 80 yards in 1:35. The conversion came on third down after the Mukwonago defensive back slipped on the turf at MHS , leaving Melton wide open.
Central failed on the two-point conversion, and in a last-gasp effort, Mukwonago's Ty Behling picked up the ensuing squib kick and ran it back to the Brookfield Central 27-yard-line with five seconds on the clock. But a 44-yard field goal attempt from Dan Timmers was short.
The Lancers trailed much of the night but pulled within 18-13 with 5:19 to go in the game on a 1-yard touchdown plunge from DeMario Harris. Mukwonago's drive stalled at the Central 44-yard line, leading to a punt that bounced out of bounds narrowly across the goal line for a touchback, mere inches from being down at the 1-yard line.
Timmers hit on a 35-yard field goal just before halftime to give Mukwonago an 18-7 lead at the break. The Indians, under first year coach Clay Iverson, started that drive to 3:09 to go when Tyler Wozny batted a ball into the air in single coverage and came down with an interception. That happened one play after Timmers went around left edge for a go-ahead 10-yard touchdown on 4th and 2.
Mukwonago forced three turnovers and did not commit one of its own. Junior quarterback Aaron Nixon faked a handoff and ran 40 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter, tying the game at 7-7. Central took the first lead on the preceding drive, when Melton caught a 35-yard touchdown down the right sideline from Richarz.
Melton finished with three catches for 107 yards. Harris ran for 110 yards.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine