In a match that was a defensive battle, with neither team finishing its shots, it wasn't surprising that it took a penalty kick to give the Spartans a 1-0 victory Tuesday night at East.
With the match scoreless at intermission, East's John Orgovan was fouled in the box by Central at the 41:22 mark. East's Ben Kosmider took the penalty kick and completed it and that was to be all the scoring for the night.
The Spartans outshot Central, 3-0, in the first half, but then dominated the second half with a 17-1 margin.The East defense was led by Mark Glowacki, Mike Freigang, Josh Breider and Mick Kemnitz.
"We're still working on finishing the ball," East coach Herbie Dundun said. "We create opportunities and we don't finish them. We are getting better, but it is our major drawback.
To have 17 shots on goal and not complete them is something we must continue to work on. I am very happy with the win and having the penalty kick finished by Kosmider."
East is now 4-1 behind Marquette (5-0) in the Greater Metro Conference race, while Central fell to 2-3.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine