Brookfield Central crushed West Allis Central, 36-6, last Friday and moved within one win of qualifying for the postseason.
That should be taken care of on Friday, when the Lancers, 3-2 in the Greater Metro Conference, 4-2 overall, host Wauwatosa East (1-4, 2-4) at 7 p.m.
A week after Brookfield Central lost 42-0 to crosstown rival Brookfield East, coach Jamie Meulemans was happy to see his team bounce back against the last-place Bulldogs (0-5, 0-6).
"The kids bounced back well," he said. "We played well in all facets. We played well on special teams, we played well offensively, we played well defensively.
"When all three come together, that's your goal as a coach."
The Lancers scored 13 points in both of the first two quarters for a 26-0 lead and then scored 10 points in the third period and cleared the bench.
Quarterback Riley Richarz opened the scoring with touchdown runs of 47 yards at 10 minutes, 41 seconds and 15 yards with 10 seconds left and Steve Knopp kicked one of two extra points. Knopp finished with 3-for-4 on PATs.
"Riley had a couple nice runs and got us started," Meulemans said. "He's been banged up and has played through it."
The Lancers then waited until the final 3:07 to get on the board again.
Running back Marcus Crum scored twice on runs of seven (3:07) and two yards (1:48). A two-point conversion attempt failed after the first one and Knopp kicked the extra point for a 26-0 halftime lead.
Knopp opened the second half with a 36-yard field goal at 9:20 and DeMario Harris scored on a 10-yard run with 5:41 left in the quarter for a 36-0 lead, which activated the running clock.
Central rushed for 252 yards, as Richarz had 11-for-96, Harris was 14-for-76 and Crum was 7-for-48 as the Lancers ate up the clock with a powerful running game.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine