Bill Twitchell considers his team "old school."
"No one looks at the box scores or individual records," the Brookfield swimming and diving coach said. "All that matters is the final team score. Though we only won a single event, our team depth overwhelmed the field."
He was referring to the Shorewood Invite on Saturday, when the Barracudas scored 417 points and finished just ahead of the host (394) for first place in the 10-team invite.
The lone first place came in the 200-yard freestyle relay, when Brian Borden, Michael Flatley, Conner Rumpit and Joseph Bauer won in 1:32.74 for first place. Beyond that, it was a show of depth, with a number of top-five finishes helping the Barracudas win the team competition.
Borden took second in the individual medley (2:01.43), an event where Brookfield also had the fifth-place finisher in Tyler Patt (2:12.66). Borden added second place in the backstroke (55.15) and teamed with Bauer, Rumpit and Dean Zheng to place third in the 400 medley relay (3:27.04).
The breaststroke came through as Brookfield's best event, with Patt (second place, 1:06.00), Daniel Lee (third, 1:09.28) and Jeffery Teng (fifth, 1:10.85) populating the top five. Bauer added second place with his swim of 22.57 seconds in the 50 free.
Additional third-place showings belonged to Bauer (100 free, 51.36) and Rumpit (butterfly, 57.18).
Academy takes ninth
Brookfield Academy scored 67 points to take ninth in the team scoring.
Kevin Van Cleave placed second in the 500 free with a time of 4:56.66, and he added third place in the individual medley (2:04.06).
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine