Four Brookfield Central athletes sign letters of intent
Hirsch, Obasih, Homa, Melton to continue careers in college
Brookfield Central had four athletes sign letters of intent to continue their playing careers at the next level.
Carl Hirsch, one of the state's top runners, Chikwe Obasih, one of the state's top defensive players, and Jacob Homa and Vantwon Melton, key members of the Lancers football team, all put pen to ink.
Hirsch and Obasih will be attending the University of Wisconsin, while Homa will be at Iowa State and Melton at Concordia University in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Here is a closer look at each athlete.
Carl Hirsch was the best distance runner to come out of Brookfield Central. Hirsch, who will run cross country and track and field at Madison, earned honors in both sports. In cross country, he was a three-time All-Conference choice, Greater Metro Conference Champ, two-time Sectional Champ, two-time All-State and three-time Academic All State selection.
He was also Academic All-Conference, team captain and MVP.
In track he was the 2012 Conference Indoor Champ and the school record holder in the 1600 (4:08.21) and the 3200 (9:12.76).
He was a member of the WIAA State Champion 3200 relay team with a state record time (7:40.09) and a WIAA State Champion in the 3200, 1600 relay and the 3200 relay.
He was named the 2012 ESPN and Gatorade Track Athlete of the Year, his highest honor. He was also the 2012 Greater Metro Conference Male Athlete of the Year.
In 2011 he was a State Qualifier in the 3200, the 1600 relay and 3200 relay.
Chikwe Obasih will play football for new coach Gary Anderson at the University of Wisconsin in the fall. He was rated as the state's second-best defensive lineman going into last season behind Alec James of Brookfield East.
His last two seasons (2011-12) he was a two-time captain and first-team Greater Metro All-Conference selection, an All-Area Selection, an All Suburban selection and an All-Region choice.
In 2012 he was a first-team All-State selection and he was in the 2012 High School All-American Game-Semper Fi in California.
Jacob Homa will bring his football talents to Iowa State University. The 6-foot-6-inch, 280 pound offensive lineman was a two-year varsity starter who earned GMC Honorable Mention All-Conference honors in 2012.
Vantwon Melton was talented wide receiver for the Lancers and a two-time starter the past two seasons. He will take his talents to Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine