Morgan Hollowell and Arianna Smith sparked the Brookfield Glacier girls hockey team to a 3-2 overtime win against Bay Area on Friday night and won the Eastern Shore Conference in the process.
Both skaters recorded two points on the night, with Hollowell passing to Smith for the game-winner in overtime.
Glacier (20-2-2) took a 1-0 lead early in the second period as they controlled the play below the Ice Bear goal line. After a couple of cycles, Smith appeared to be taking the puck behind the Ice Bear net but she made a quick cutback to the post and fed the puck to a cutting Hollowell, who one timed it into the net.
Bay Area stormed back to even the game 40 seconds later when what looked like a covered puck came loose and was tapped home by Bay Area's Kelsey Rafferty.
In the third period, it appeared as though Glacier was going to take control of the contest when junior Trinity Robinson chipped a puck around a Bay Area defender at the blue line and then streaked in for the unassisted breakaway goal, for a 2-1 advantage.
Despite being outshot 41-22, Bay area didn't back down and they were rewarded with a puck that hit Glacier goalie Jenna Bales' glove, but popped out to the far side for an easy tap-in goal to even the score at 2-2.
The third period ended with the score tied, but Glacier had 1:15 of a power-play time that would carry over into the 8-minute overtime. Turned out, they would only need 34 seconds of that time to end the game.
Senior Jamie Ertl carried the puck deep into the Bay Area defensive zone to pull their penalty killers low. After that, Glacier ripped off six consecutive one-time passes through seams in the Bay Area defense until Hollowell made a cross-ice pass to Smith, who let the shot go into the upper left corner for the game-winner.
"We work on our power play for a few minutes at the start of most practices," Glacier coach Brian Smith said, "but we have never seen it executed as well as they did it tonight. That puck movement was spectacular."
Bales turned back 20 shots for Glacier to garner her 20th win of the season.
Glacier will begin the WIAA playoffs at Ponds of Brookfield at 5:15 p.m. on Thursday as they host the winner of the Waupaca vs. Beaver Dam game.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine