Everything went like Brookfield East thought it would Friday night in the WIAA State Team Tennis quarter-finals, as the Spartans rolled over Wausau East, 7-0, at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison.
Felix Corwin on at No. 1 singles (7-0, 7-0), Tim Corwin won at No. 2 singles (6-0, 6-1), David Horneffer won at No. 3 (6-1, 6-0) and Doug Francken at No. (6-1, 6-0).
In doubles Ben Stewart/Tim Engelhart won (6-1, 6-1), Henry Termuehlmen/Patrick Krill won (6-0, 6-1) and Michael Wulff/Tyler Kender won (6-3, 6-2).
"I was very pleased," coach Linda Lied said. "It's hard to play an opponent weaker than you, because sometimes you play down to the level and play only as hard as you need to.
"Our big speech was to come out hard and play focused right from the start. Our doubles did a really solid job with that, so they led the team. Everyone was playing tough tennis and they all got off the court really clean.
Then the singles came in and did the same thing.
What should be the state title match is set for 9 a.m. when Marquette and the Spartans meet. The Hilltoppers are 2-1 against the Spartans this season.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine