The Brookfield Central girls used nine 3-pointers, including seven in the first half, to hand Divine Savior Holy Angels a 55-50 loss at BC and move into a tie for first place in the Greater Metro Conference.
The Lancers (10-1) and Dashers (9-3) share first place with 4-1 records. Second place Sussex Hamilton (3-1) and Brookfield East (3-1) square off at Sussex on Friday.
Arike Ogunbowale scored 24 points, but 19 came in the final period when the Lancers backed off and let her drive to the basket. Junior guard Emma Brauer and freshman guard Caroline Busch did an excellent job holding her to five points for three quarters, including an 0-for-7 first half.
Three pointers by Lydia Rohde, Nicole Hinz and Abby Miller sparked an 11-5 first quarter for Central and then the Lancers went on an 18-run in the second period for a 29-11 lead at halftime.
Busch and Hinz each nailed two 3's in the second period to spark the offense. Freshman Ovi Young had five points as the Dashers had a 14-9 third period advantage, as Hinz scored seven of Central's points, adding another 3-pointer.
DSHA cut the lead to 39-35 with 4:38 left to play when Busch made perhaps the play of the game when she nailed a long 3-pointer from the left elbow. Ogunbowale countered with a jumper, Brauer hit two free throws and Taylor Drost added a free throw, before Rohde hit a huge jumper from the left baseline for a 46-38 lead.
From that point on Busch hit 5-for-6 free throws, Rohde hit 3-for-6 and Jasmine Lewis was 1-for-2.
Hinz had 16 points, Busch 14 and the gutsy Rohde, who took some tough spills finished with nine points.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine