Brookfield Central athletic and activities director Todd Sobrilsky didn't have to look far to replace Dan Wandrey as girls basketball coach.
Sobrilsky announced May 13 that Mallory Liebl, the assistant varsity basketball coach and head junior varsity coach at Divine Savior Holy Angels will now take over the Lancers girls program.
She had an overall .879 winning percentage (58-8) and a .929 (39-3) mark in the Greater Metro Conference as the JV head coach.
"She is one of the bright young coaches in the area," Sobrilsky said. "She understands the challenge of sustaining our girls basketball program's historical level of success, and we look forward to the opportunity that her leadership will provide to the program's future successes.
"Through the search process it became evident that she possesses a passion for working with and inspiring young people to excel both on and off the court."
It has been the Lancers' success under Wandrey, who is now the boys coach, that attracted her to the position.
"With the great success they've had in the past, it's an exciting opportunity to go there," Liebl said. "It's a great conference. Plus growing up in Brookfield, it was intriguing. I've always admired what they did and the success that they've had."
Former DSHA coach Scott Witt, who is now an assistant with the New Berlin Eisenhower boys varsity, thinks it was a great hire for the Lancers.
"She'll do great. She is a rising superstar," he said. "Her track record — the way her kids play — they play hard. That's her signature."
Liebl, a shooting guard at Pius XI and a University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh grad, coached the DSHA JV Summer League team (2009-10) and worked at several summer basketball camps, including the Dasher Basketball Summer Camps (2011-13).
She has coached the Oshkosh West Basketball Club's eighth-grade team (2008-09) and was a Pius XI Basketball Camp coach. She still coaches the Wisconsin Impact Basketball Club.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine