It was not the type of debut that Brookfield Central coach Jed Kennedy was hoping for Friday night, as Whitefish Bay dominated the Lancers and rolled to a 20-6 victory at Central in the season opener.
Once again, Bassindale carried it six times for 28 yards on the drive. Running back Macklin Kortebein had a 13-yard run to help keep the drive alive.
The Lancers took the ball 11 plays to close out the half with their best drive, but Labellarte’s incompletion ended the half.
The Lancers played Bay even in the second half, as each team had a long drive to eat up the third quarter. Ludke missed a 30-yard field goal, the closest any team came to scoring.
Bassindale scored on a 6-yard run with 6:39 left to play, and then the Lancers scored on a 4-yard run by junior running back Mitch Meves with 2:35 left to play.
Bassindale rushed for 153 yards in 30 carries and two scores and Strehlow ran 85 yards in 10 carries and a score. Labellarte rushed for 50 yards in 13 carries.
“What’s disappointing was we just made a lot of mistakes, a lot of things we hadn’t seen in the last few weeks. We had some kids get under the lights and got a little star struck. We’re going to keep plugging away. Hopefully we’ll have a better performance than we did tonight.”
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine