Brookfield East clobbered Racine St. Catherine's 48-13 on Aug. 22 at home and totaled 453 yards to win their season opener. But the bad news outweighed the good for coach Tom Swittel.
Star sophomore running back Sam Santiago-Lloyd, who rushed for 179 yards on 15 carries (11.9 average) and scored two touchdowns, broke his collarbone after a long run in the second half and is done for the season.
"It is a devastating blow," Swittel said. "He was the key to our running attack. We spent the off-season working on plays to get him the ball."
Swittel will rely on running back Corey Smith, who rushed for 50 yards on five carries (10.0 ave) and a score, and will move Mitch Mikulsky from wide receiver to running back to try and help fill the gap. Wide receiver Vinh Nguyen-Van also rushed five times for 80 yards (16.0) as East finished with 396 yards in 51 carries (7.7).
They also had help from junior quarterback TC Swittel, who chipped in with 62 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns.
Things didn't start well for the Spartans as the Angels scored twice in the first quarter to take a 14-0 lead. First, quarterback Andrew Smith tossed a 55-yard touchdown pass to Titonaro Bumpus at the 10 minute, 20 second mark (the defensive back fell down), and then, on defense, Smith turned an interception into a 62-yard score.
"They came out loaded for bear," Swittel said. "We had played a few minutes and we were down 13-0. I said 'You got to be kidding.' On the interception the receiver broke off his route and TC threw the ball where he thought he would be."
It took the Spartans a while, but Santiago-Lloyd scored from the 2-yard line with 2:14 left in the half, and from 8-yards out with 34 seconds left. Connor Allen drilled two point extra points to give East a 14-13 lead at halftime.
But the second half was all East, as the Spartans went on a 34-0 run to roll to the win, as the defense made a big play and got them off to a good start.
East's junior defensive back Will Schmidt returned a St. Catherine's fumble eight yards for a score to take a 20-13 lead at the 10:47 mark as East failed on a 2-point conversion try.
TC Swittel then took over and blew the game open. First he scored on a 21-yard run (7:56) and then added a 14-yard run (3:49) for a 34-13 lead after three periods.
Smith scored on a 24-yard run to open the final quarter at 9:27 and then Cody White scored from a yard out at the 7:57 mark.
"The second half we pretty much dominated," Swittel said.
- Late rally lifts Brookfield East past Franklin boys, 64-61, in season opener
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Bulldogs, Pewaukee Muskies to continue game at later date
- Land O’Lakes: Defense costs Brookfield Bulldogs against Menomonee Falls
- Soccer: Elm Grove Soccer Club U16 team has strong showing at US Youth Soccer Championships
- Brookfield's Eberle named one of top girls field hockey players in nation
- Sports Notes: July 28, 2016
- Land O’Lakes: Brookfield Blue Sox pick up key win over West Bend
- Baseball: Brookfield Central baseball unable to pull upset in regional loss to Sussex Hamilton
- Sports Notes: July 21, 2016
- Baseball: Brookfield East drops regional opener to Kettle Moraine