Ashley Doherty will represent the class of 2015 as the Distinguished Young Woman of Menomonee Falls. She was awarded the title at the 50th Annual program held on Saturday, February 15, 2014 at Menomonee Falls High School. Distinguished Young Women is the scholarship program formerly known as Junior Miss. The program has been organized and sponsored by the Optimist Club of Menomonee Falls since 1986.
Ashley, the daughter of Bryan and Linda Doherty, is a junior at Menomonee Falls High School. She performed a ballet dance to Don Quixote: Bridesmaid Variation for her talent. Ashley was awarded a $2000 scholarship from the Optimist Club. She also won the Be Your Best Self Essay award. She will advance to the Distinguished Young Women of WI program in August.
Taylor Vraney was named the 1st Alternate and awarded a $750 scholarship from the Optimist Club and $350 from Community League of Menomonee Falls. She also won the preliminary Interview award. Carley Kolsch was named 2nd Alternate and awarded a $250 scholarship from the Optimist Club. The following preliminary awards were: Ellie Jordan – Talent; Kristen Niles - Scholastic; Abby McIntyre - Self-Expression and Amanda Richter - Fitness. Maryellen Pawley was voted the Spirit Award winner by her fellow contestants.
Also participating in the program was Paige Adams, Brigid Doyle, Rachel Haynes, Rachel Hoyer, Alexus Johnson, Sydney Kolbeck, Taylor Knaebe, Juliette Schefelker and Viktoria Schumacher.
Distinguished Young Women national rules limit participants in a local program to those who live in the community. Because of open enrollment there are girls who attend Menomonee Falls High School but live outside the village. Those girls were invited to participate as “At-Large” contestants. The At-Large participants who met a minimum score advance to the state program and will represent the municipality they live in. Those girls are: Hailey Barbee – Distinguished Young Woman of Milwaukee – Park Knoll, Alexis Strode - Distinguished Young Woman of Milwaukee – Sherman Park and Hannah Yohnk - Distinguished Young Woman of Washington County. Additional At-Large programs will be held over the next few months. For information on becoming a participant please visit www.distinguishedyw.org.
The Distinguished Young Women of Wisconsin program will be held on Saturday, August 2, 2014 at the South Milwaukee Performing Arts Center.
- Exercise Program at Brookfield Public Library
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- GSC & SOLIDWORKS Partner With The EAA to Deliver SOLIDWORKS to Members
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- Off Broadway Salon Celebrate's 30 Years
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Free Block Party at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Aug. 6