Playworks Wisconsin received a $2,500 grant from the Elm Grove Junior Guild this week to improve the health and well-being of children by providing safe, and meaningful opportunities for physical activity.
“We are honored to receive a grant from this society of women who are so committed to both the physical and emotion wellness of children in and around our community,” said Kristina Olkowski, Playworks Wisconsin executive director.
Funds will assist Playworks Wisconsin in continuing to provide school-based programming that reduces bullying, provides more time for classroom teaching, improves feelings of safety and increases physical activity for nearly 6,000 elementary students at 12 low-income Milwaukee Public Schools.
Playworks is currently the only nonprofit in the country to leverage recess as a transformational tool for educators and children. Playworks delivers developmentally-appropriate prevention and early intervention programming to K-5th grade children at low-income schools. Students are taught conflict resolution skills, teamwork and empathy—on the playground, in the classroom, before and after school, and at sports leagues by well-trained, full-time program coordinators, called “coaches.”
About Playworks Wisconsin
Playworks transforms schools by creating safe, inclusive environments at recess and throughout the school day. We strengthen the social, emotional and physical development of our children, empowering them to thrive. Our programming restores valuable teaching time, reduces bullying, increases physical activity and improves the overall school climate. Playworks Wisconsin launched in Milwaukee in January 2012, and now serves nearly 6,000 elementary students at 12 low-income Milwaukee Public Schools. For more information about Playworks Wisconsin or to join our movement, visit www.playworks.org/communities/wisconsin.
- Exercise Program at Brookfield Public Library
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- GSC & SOLIDWORKS Partner With The EAA to Deliver SOLIDWORKS to Members
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- Off Broadway Salon Celebrate's 30 Years
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Free Block Party at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Aug. 6