On Friday, June 27, 10-11 a.m., Kevin Pasqua from LearningRx Brookfield will present “Fighting Summer Loss with Games” at the Learning Shop, 17435 W. Bluemound Rd., Brookfield. During the free talk, moms and dads will learn how to assemble an activity box of games that addresses all major learning skills.
While summer vacation is great, it can be costly. During the summer, kids lose an average 2.6 months of grade-level equivalency in math computation skills and 25 percent of their reading skills. That explains why teachers usually spend four to six weeks re-teaching materials in the fall.
A smart toy box should include games and activities that encourage memory, processing speed, attention, logic and reasoning and auditory and visual processing.
“To stop summer loss, moms and dads should set aside 30 minutes three times a week to work on strengthening their child’s cognitive skills,” says Kevin Pasqua, owner and executive director of LearningRx in Brookfield. “Cognitive skills are the underlying tools that enable children and adults to successfully focus, think, prioritize, plan, understand, visualize, create useful associations, solve problems and remember.”
Some of the games Pasqua recommends for summer learning include Rory’s Story Cubes, Simon, Mental Blox and Pentago.
“Each game challenges a child in a fun and engaging way,” explains Pasqua. “Kids get excited to try something new and parents know their child is benefitting from the mental stimulation.”
LearningRx specializes in brain training that increases the speed, power and function of the brain and reduces or eliminates learning problems for people of all ages. Using mental exercises and a 1:1 trainer-to-student ratio, the program capitalizes on the brain’s plasticity to build new neural connections, increase speed of existing neural connections and find faster routes to process information.
For information about LearningRx Brookfield, call 262-395-2250 or visit learningrx.com/milwaukee-brookfield.
- Exercise Program at Brookfield Public Library
- INTERFAITH TEAMS UP WITH LA CASA FOR TRAVELING ART EXHIBITION BY OLDER ADULTS
- GSC & SOLIDWORKS Partner With The EAA to Deliver SOLIDWORKS to Members
- Milwaukee Backgammon Club to hold 3 tournaments in August!
- 4th Annual Cruisin’ the Grove Scheduled for Aug. 7
- Off Broadway Salon Celebrate's 30 Years
- MCW awarded $1.9 million to investigate disease prevention utilizing slime mold
- Dublin the Fun Partner Promotions Make Milwaukee Irish Fest Even More Affordable
- September Fashion Show in Washington County
- Free Block Party at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church on Aug. 6